This was probably one of the best dates yet! Shelby has been bugging me to set the tent up for more than a month now and the only way I could see me doing it was if we did it as a date. I asked Shelby if she wanted to do that for her date and she said YES!!!
She even said that Hallie could come on her date out there too. She was still a little apprehensive about letting Mya come out there with us. Shelby said, “Well maybe when Mya is 3, she can come”. Mya is a little sick, so we decided to let her sleep with mom inside. Good thing too, because we wouldn’t have gotten any sleep because she was up coughing all night and mommy wasn’t little miss sunshine in the morning. (Poor Mommy).
We built a fire ring in the back area of the yard, we BBQ’d some chicken, and we had smores. I had the best smore of my life with a Rees’s peanut butter candy bar instead of Hershey’s chocolate. I warmed the graham cracker and the chocolate up on the hot dog cooker so the chocolate would actually be melted and my marshmallow was perfect too. After that the girls just had to have a “perfect” one too because I was raving about it so much.
It was a perfect night. Not too hot or too cold. The stars were out. We are just far enough from town to be able to see the sky well and it really felt like we were camping because our yard has so many mature trees in it. We sat by the fire for a while and it was really fun.We can see town and the Rexburg temple from our backyard, we have even had a moose in our backyard. There is a wild male pheasant and an all white female pheasant that live there as well.
We set up our little tent and I had an air mattress of course and the girls just had some blankets for padding. The whole afternoon, the girls were going nuts. They were literally bouncing off of the walls because they were so excited. They were giving Annie and me a headache because they were being so crazy.
Hallie had her sleeping bag on one side and Shelby on the other. They each had their own little set of blankets and pillows that they wanted. Shelby has a soft little mermaid book that folds into a pillow. She read us the story in the morning when we woke up.
As we were sitting by the fire, Hallie wanted to tell scary stories, so she was the first to tell one and she only made it one line into her story before she scared herself and rushed over to sit on my lap because she was so freaked out.
Sitting around the fire reminded me of all of the hunting and camping trips that my dad and I used to go on. I have some great memories from those times. The best one was when I was in 2nd grade and got to miss two weeks of school when we lived in Arizona to go up to Montana to go elk hunting. The funny part is that we now live within 80 miles of where we went hunting right on the Idaho/Montana border up by Yellowstone.
It also reminded me of when Annie and I would go camping all of the time at the coast or Lake of the Woods in Oregon, with our crazy dogs Riley, Maddie and Gizmo. Camping now with all of the kids seems like such a process and a lot of work for just one night. Luckily our yard does the trick for now.
My back has been hurting and I was wondering if I was going to make it through the night, but the air mattress was just what I needed. I slept great and so did the girls and when I woke up my back was feeling great.
It started getting light at about 4:30am and the wild birds were chirping and squawking like crazy. It sounded like we were in the jungle. Our cat slept by Hallie’s feet all night and was in Heaven, because we make her sleep outside usually.
It was a great night, we didn’t have to go anywhere or spend any money other than stocking up on smore supplies. Shelby wanted to sleep out there again, but it started to rain today.
Here are some pictures of the girls from their dance recital.
No comments:
Post a Comment