Today Hallie had an activity day at her school. Annie and Therese went in the morning and helped out and we all were able to eat lunch together in the gym with the other families. It was supposed to be outside, but this is Rexburg and the wind was blowing like crazy once again. It was fun to have a little picnic. Most of the other families picked up pizza, or chips, but Annie had homemade salmon dip, crackers, sandwiches, cookies and some other yummy foods. I can’t believe that we have a daughter that is old enough to have an activity day at her school. Hallie is so friendly; it was fun to watch her interact with all of her friends. I can’t believe how happy and outgoing she is with other kids her age and she knows all of their names. Tonight at dinner she told us that she doesn’t just have to be friends with girls, she can be friends with boys as well. There are some nice boys in her class too.
Hallie thought that it was so funny that her teacher was hula hooping and other things like that. They flew kites and the National Guard had a blow up jump house/obstacle course. We really like Hallie’s school, her principal and her teacher. You can tell that they really care. We wish Shelby could have her teacher as well, but I don’t know if we wish for it enough to stick out one more winter here!
Hallie and I went on a date to the craze. WE did the typical, mini golf, play structure, video games, and ticket redeeming. We are going to try out some new activities to liven things up a little. We had fun and the snow cone machine shop was open and out of all of the flavors Hallie had to have Tiger’s blood, because it sounded the coolest. She assured me that it wasn’t real blood, because Shelby had already tried it once before.
Before we left Hallie had drawn this great picture of Jesus and some kids and at the top it said “I love Jesus”. She sounded it out herself and made a couple of mistakes, but fixed them herself.
Tonight at dinner she told me how she was writing a story at school and she said in her story that, “My dad likes to make fun of me and he told me that I had to sleep in the shed”. This phrase has really affected Hallie. I always joke around with the girls and Hallie always says, “Wow dad, you really need to learn how to be nice”. I am a bit sarcastic at times as I am sure all of you who know me can attest to this. This whole shed conversation started when Hallie knew that Therese was coming to visit and Hallie was wondering where Therese was going to sleep and she said that we don’t have a bed for her to sleep in, and I told her that her and Shelby would have to sleep outside in the shed so we would have enough room. That is kind of mean, even though I was just joking, but Hallie has not been able to forget about it and I even made it into her kindergarten story book. I am not sure that I feel good about her thinking that her dad likes to make fun of her and tells her that she has to sleep in the shed. I am definitely going to have to change my fathering approach.
No comments:
Post a Comment